10 Bing’s SEO Tips
- To make it to the top of Bing, make sure to have a title that correlates to the subject at hand. You must also link out. Many marketers do not favor linking out because they fear that their page rank will be lowered, especially with Google.
- Try to add more and more text. In most search engines, the amount of text on the page usually is not usually a huge factor. However, Bing really likes pages with at least 350 words of text.
- Bing appears to put a lot of stock into how long ago a domain was registered. For marketers, this means that you may look to purchase older domains if you want to get on good position in Bing.
- Try using only the well-formed HTML codes in your web pages. You should always ensure to close all the paired tags and should see that all links open the correct webpage. For information on validating your HTML code, you can see either HTTP Conditional Get test tool or HTTP Compression or W3C Markup Validation Service. If your website contains broken link then MSNBot might not be able to index your website effectively, thereby preventing people from reaching all of your web pages. To find more information on finding broken links on your website you can see the Help topic for the Webmaster Center’s Crawl Issues tool.
- If you have moved a web page then you must set up the webpage’s original URL to redirect people to the new webpage. Also, indicate whether the move is permanent or temporary.
- You have to make sure MSNBot is allowed to crawl your website and is not on your list of web crawlers that are prohibited from indexing your website. For more information on this, you can see Control which web pages on your website are indexed.
- You should use a Robots.txt file or tags to control how MSNBot and other web crawlers index your website. You can use the Robots.txt file to prevent web crawlers from crawling specific files and folders.
- Keep all your URLs static and simple. URLs that are complicated or that change frequently are difficult to index as link destinations. In addition, a URL that does not change is easy for people to remember and bookmark. That makes your webpage a more likely link destination from other websites.
- In the end, it is very important to get more links to your site in terms of quantity as well as quality and to make sure that your website’s content matches that with your keywords.
Bing’s SEO principles
SEO is fundamentally about creating websites that are good for people. The most basic advice we can give for achieving optimum rank for your site in Bing is to do the following:
- Develop great, original content (including well-implemented keywords) directed toward your intended audience
- Use well-architected code in your webpages (including images and Sitemaps) so that users’ web browsers and search engine crawlers can read the content you want indexed)
- Earn several, high-quality, authoritative inbound links
As you can see by the links, much of this material has already been discussed in-depth in the Webmaster Center team blog in our ongoing column, search engine marketing (SEM) 101.
The type of SEO work and tasks webmasters need to perform to be successful in Bing hasn’t changed—all of the legitimate, time-tested, SEO skills and knowledge that webmasters have invested in previously apply fully today with Bing. Moreover, investments in solid, reputable SEO work made for Bing will bring similar improvements in your website’s page rank in other search engines as well.
Ultimately, SEO is still SEO. Bing doesn’t change that. Bing’s new user interface design simply adds new opportunities to searchers to find what the information they want more quickly and easily, and that benefits webmasters who have taken the time to work on the quality of their content, website architecture, and have done the hard work of earning several high-quality inbound links.